Monday, November 28, 2011

Banned Word List?


Happy Cyber Monday!
A friend of mine tweeted something very interesting that I need to, for lack of a better word, bitch about. Apparently, since 1976 Lake Superior State University has produced a  ‘banished word list.’ Some of these words or phrases are just so out there, I think to myself, what drug were they on when they thought of this, so I know never to use it.
I’m not sure what is more ridiculous, them thinking any word should be banished, or their lack of intelligence in reasoning why.
The list, their response, my response:
Viral
Them- "I didn't mind much when 'viral' came to mean an under-handed tactic by advertising companies to make their ads look like pop culture. However, now anything that becomes popular on YouTube is suddenly 'viral.' I just don't get it." Kevin Wood, Wallacetown, Ont.
Me- Really? You don’t get it. Are you under a rock? It describes a video, or such, that everyone is talking about. It’s actually an intelligent [that means smart, Kevin] word that describes things that happen to content on the internet. You can’t control the content, America will like what it likes, and things will continue to go viral. Open your mind.
Epic
Them- "Anything that this word describes in popular over-usage is rarely ever 'epic' in the traditional sense of being heroic, majestic, or just plain awe-inspiring." Mel F., Dallas, Tex.
Me- Words change meanings. It’s a way for other words to come up and be better than before. ‘Gay’ used to mean happy, is it to say that the people you claim ‘gay’ as their sexual orientation aren’t using the word in the correct way? You’re ignorant, go away.
Fail
Them: "It has taken over blogs, photo captions, 'status' comments. Anytime someone does something less than perfect, we have to read 'FAIL!' The word has failed us all." Aaron Yunker, Ishpeming, Mich.

Me- Again people, deal with it. I mean come on, Aaron, you don’t have to read fail every time someone does something less than perfect [assuming you can read]. The clear answer your looking for here is not banishing the word, just start being more perfect.
*SKIP* 
Wow Factor [Who even says that?]
A-HA Moment
Them- "All this means is a point at which you understand something or something becomes clearer. Why can't you just say that?" Audrey Mayo, Killeen, Tex.
Me- “I suddenly understand something and it makes sense!” That sounds dumb, like you Audrey. By telling someone you had an A-HA Moment, they can either A. Inquire more about what you’ve realized, or ignore it. It’s more like ‘would like you like to hear what I’ve just come to the realization of’ without sounding like a weird-o. [I’m well aware all humans in every form are indeed ‘weird-o’s,’ yet no one wants to be known as one.
*Skip*
BFF
Man Up
Refudiate
Mama Grizzlies
The American People
I’m Just sayin’
--> I’m sick of repeating myself: People. Come. On.
I do want to talk about these last two though:
Facebook/Google as verbs
Them- "Facebook is a great, addicting website. Google is a great search engine. However, their use as verbs causes some deep problems. As bad as they are, the trend can only get worse, i.e. 'I'm going to Twitter a few people, then Yahoo the movie listings and maybe Amazon a book or two." Jordan of Waterloo, Ont.
Me- It is quite accurate that we ‘Google’ something and ‘Facebook’ that quote. It sounds much more intelligent than “I’m going to look that up on The Google,” or “I’m going to post this quote on The Facebook.”
And finally, the one that struck me the hardest
Live life to the fullest
Them- "It's an absurdity followed by a redundancy. First, things are full or they're not; there is no fullest. Second, 'live life' is redundant. Finally, the expression is nauseatingly overused. What's wrong with enjoying life fully or completely? The phrase makes me gag. I'm surprised it hasn't appeared on the list before." Sylvia Hall, Williamsport, Penn.
Me- So, a saying that encourages to people to have fun in this F-ed up world we live in is now bad? There’s already enough negative in this world, Sylvia, you make me gag.
Quit with the liberal BULL. Word are words. Their connotations consistently change for the population, and the individual. If the society adopts the new connotation as acurate and good, then the denotation will change. DEAL WITH IT. Your entire list is pathetically absurd and is pointless, along with all the people who suggest words to it. 
What are your feelings on this banned word list? If you want to see the website, or laugh at the past word lists, go here --> http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php 

Follow Twitter!

1 comment:

  1. This one is my absolute favorite! These words are more than pathetically placed on "The List". By the way, I'm going to start paying you to do my papers from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete