Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Day Eve!


It’s the eve of one of the best days dedicated to eating ever; Thanksgiving! I personally cannot wait to get together with the family, catch up on all the things I’ve missed since I went to college, and be around the people who matter most in life to me. (Only a wonderful 3 hour drive stands in my way [insert sarcasm here]). Not to mention those awesome cartoons that I loved watching each thanksgiving morning! Cartoon Network never fails me! (unless it’s a normal day where they play the new shitty cartoons that are drawn worse than the ones I grew up with...Scooby Doo, where are you?! We miss you!)
While we’re always taught how great of a relationship we had with the Native American’s, what we really should be thankful for is that they didn’t beat us. After all the terrible things the early settlers did, we should really be reflecting and apologizing, rather than thanking (Thanks for doing all the work and putting up with our ancestors, perhaps). The injustice will never go away, but we can be better people from now on. 
Things I’m thankful for:
My family
My education
The ability to have multiple meals every day
Having a warm bed to sleep in
Loyal friends
My health
All my wonderful readers
Grandma’s Orange jello (it’s orange heaven)
Last, and probably the biggest thing I’m thankful for right now is the amazing first semester at college I’ve had. This place has done more for me than I could ever imagine. I’m so happy with the man I’m becoming, and can’t wait to see how I change even more though out my next years here.
And before I go, I must say I’m thankful for my awful roommates, as I hear him scream ‘you bastard’ to his video game. Without them I wouldn’t have experienced what it’s like to live with inconsiderate assholes. (I’m not sure if this has helped me yet, but I have faith that it will....eventually...I hope...)
What are your Thanksgiving plans? Do you celebrate? Leave a comment and start a conversation!
AeW

US Navy 081127-M-6412J-024 Capt. Robert P. Irelan, commanding officer of the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) and Col. Mark J. Desens, commanding officer of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, carve the turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment